Lace Dress 4 Ways for Fall/Winter



Yesterday I had a little impromptu photo shoot at home. I've been meaning to put this post together for awhile, but it always seemed like it was going to be a huge hassle to take good pictures for four different outfits so I put it off. Finally I decided to just take them in the backyard, to make wardrobe changes simple. But it was super super windy. And really bright, and then really dark (thanks clouds). I tried my best to edit these light discrepancies, but I apologize for weird color changes that resulted from these corrections (I'm still new to this photo editing business). Thanks Will, for playing camera man.

You've seen me wear this dress before, and as I mentioned it is one of my all time favorite clothing items. When I purchased it a year ago, I had no idea it would become such a stable in my wardrobe. I thought it would be fun to share with you a few different ways I like to wear it. Now that Fall is definitely here (and it is only getting colder), I am using full advantage of my wardrobe. I love to layer pieces in unexpected ways, which comes in handy when I want to wear a dress. Which is always; I'm wearing a dress 90% of the time. My dresses are my favorite clothing items and what I feel most cute and comfortable in, so I don't let cold weather stop me from wearing them. If anything, cold weather encourages more creativity in my daily outfits.

I hope you like what I've come up with, and perhaps it will encourage you to continue to wear some of your favorite dresses well into the cold seasons. It's all about the layers, ladies.



Pair it with Bold Colors:

Dress: Bohme, last year
Coat: Target, years ago (similar)
Scarf: Forever 21, years ago (similar)
Tights: Urban Outfitters (similar)
Boots: ModCloth 

Bold colors aren't reserved for just summer, you can wear then whenever you want! Shocking, I know. Fall and Winter clothes can be a bit devoid of color, but don't be afraid to add color again if you feel like it. In fact, I like putting together a bright, bold ensemble on particularly cold and dreary days. This mustard coat I own really comes in handy. Mustard is a great Fall color and instantly adds a bit of happiness/sunshine unknowingly to my outfit/day. Add even more color with a coordinating scarf and a bold pair of tights.



Try Out Some Unconventional Layers:

Dress: Bohme, last year
Skirt: Target, last year (similar / similar)
Tights: Target (similar)
Boots: Target (similar)

Adding layers doesn't always have to mean piling on sweaters and coats. If it's a nice Fall day, try pairing your dress with something you've never tried before, like putting a dress underneath or a skirt over (and wearing your dress like a shirt). You may be surprised at what you come up with and by how much you like it. I love this skirt, but I never know what to pair it with and usually opt for a plain blouse. I love the new option I have created! Down play the flowery, flowy, feminine feel by adding a pair of boots.



Add Just a Touch of Men's Wear:

Dress: Bohme, last year
Men's shirt: borrowed
Belt: Came with this dress
Tights: Target
Oxfords: Urban Outfitters (similar, though mine were not cow hide and were much cheaper)

This has to be my favorite of the four looks. I really love all of these outfits, but I feel this one is the greatest reflection of my style. Simple and sweet. I put the lace dress over a men's button up shirt and rolled the sleeves up for a casual look. I will say, though, that wearing a shirt under something it is much larger than (my dress) is a bit difficult and would probably require a lot of adjusting through out the day, as it kept bunching up (especially around the shoulders). I loved this color combination, though, and couldn't resist. If you have a button up of your own that fits you well, it may be a better option. Wear with plain black tights and polish everything off with a bow belt and oxfords.



Get All Cozied Up:

Dress: Bohme, last year
Turtleneck: H&M, last year (similar / similar)
Coat: Old Navy (similar)
Tights: Target
Flats: 1318 Fashion

I wear this outfit all the time in the butt-cold depths of winter. This super chunky H&M turtleneck is a cold weather must-have, for me. It is so incredibly cozy and I'll pull it over just about everything. Pairing it with dresses and skirts is my favorite, though. I think it is a bit unexpected and a bit juxtaposed as well. The delicate lace really contradicts and balances out the chunky knit wonderfully. Add a coat of a contrasting color and some golden toes and you're set.

How would you wear this lace dress for Fall/Winter? And do you try to stay fashionable in the cold?

11 comments :

  1. That is such a lovely dress, full of hidden potential! I really like all those outfits, especially number one (for the bold colours and scarf) and the last one (for the cozyness).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love these outfits, Emorie! I definitely need to spend more time playing in my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy you stumbled upon my blog too, so then I could stumble upon your's :) your blog is super super lovely. I'll link up for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thelittleowllOctober 17, 2013

    I love that dress! Who knew you could style it so many ways!!


    Sabrina
    www.onecityowl.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. CuddlyCactiOctober 22, 2013

    i love love love this post!! geeze i'm sorry it took me several weeks between swooning over it on your instagram to finally getting over to your blog. i'm def going to feature this in my next monthly muses if you dont mine. hard to even pick a fav here, love all the colors in the first, the next is so classy/great night out, and the collared blouse under is so cute and indeed the the lace is great w/ the chunky sweater, although i haven't been able to get that look to not look super frumpy on me (another reason i do need to check out your fitness plan). anyway, you look just stunning in all of these remixes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Dus! If it makes you feel better, I've been creeping on your blog since we discovered each other on instagram and had yet to comment because I'm weird and get terrible social anxiety even online (especially with bloggers I love)... but I love your blog! Your outfits are always so lovely and unique.I was so so happy to see my inbox this morning with so many comments from you :) So expect lots of comments from me in the future haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. CuddlyCactiOctober 23, 2013

    ah, that really does make me happy to hear!! sometimes i get really excited about a blog (like yours yesterday night, when admittedly i should've been sleeping) have barf up a ton of comments in a row and then think... oh, will they think that one was weird? but in the end i prefer people to know i'm stalking and it usually ends up good like this that people appreciate the love! i actually got rid of facebook for a long time and now only have about 20 friends bcuz i disliked that stalker aspect of it, amongst other things. but thank you so much for your comment about my blog, that really means a lot as I've been swooning over yours : ).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. I'm impressed. Seriously impressed. Each of these outfits look SO different from one another and yet they are all very stylish and no a thing looks odd or out of place. So often remixing you can either get good looks but they are slightly similar or remixed looks where something looks off. These are all hits though! Love!


    My favorites... I'm torn between the men's inspired and the cozy sweater one. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Emorie, you would look just like Coraline in that yellow jacket if only your hair were blue! xx

    ReplyDelete