Summer Hair Inspiration

natural curls / beachy waves / cute short / casual up-do / forehead braid / messy
Summer to me screams natural hair. It is a time when everyone seems to embrace their own texture, color, and style. And I love this. One, because it is easy and realistic (given the summer heat) and two, because it is beautiful. This is the longest my hair has ever been and I'm struggling a bit as to what to do with it all. I still want to grow it out, but this time of year is when I always reach for the scissors and chop it off all over again. All this dark, thick hair is keeping me toasty; my sun hat has quickly become my saving grace. The fact that messy hair, or that beachy look, is desired this time of year is perfect because most days I don't have the patience to do anything with it. I'd sure love to experiment with new braids and up-dos, to get it all off my neck, but it is great to be carefree about my hair as well. Just air dry and go.

Summer is a perfect time to wash your hair less. Way less. You may remember me mentioning that I don't use shampoo on my hair. Well I wash it even less in the summer. Put it up, braid it, tie a scarf around, or put a hat on if you have to! Give your hair a bit of a break from all the damage it has been collecting the rest of the year from styling and give it regular deep conditioning treatments to protect it from the sun. I would recommend investing in some coconut oil.

Embrace those natural locks, lovelies.
  

6 comments :

  1. YES! Summer hair is thee best (probably because it is so low maintenance). My favorite braided styles are the simple fishtail braid (pulled apart and slightly messy) and this braided updo: http://pinterest.com/pin/463659724106868290/ Since I have short hair this summer, you'll have to wear them for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love messy beachy hair! Here I am trying to figure out what to do with short hair! When mine was long I braided it all the time. My hair is so thick that I could not do a updo with it long! I totally never wash my hair hah. Like every 4 days and sometimes longer. Your hair is gorgous :) and you are adorable. I look forward to seeing what you do with your locks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dara OctoraJune 07, 2013

    The Cute Short is the cutest! I always love short hair, though I technically can't have short hair right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! That swirly braid thing is so cool! I'll have to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love short hair too! Before I started growing it out, I had always had short hair. I miss how simple it is. So sad you can't have short hair now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We'll just see how much longer I can go before chopping all of it :)

    ReplyDelete